CrossFit Reach Athlete Profile: Allison Aley
This month we highlight another amazing person and member here at CrossFit Reach!
Allison has been with us since the very beginning and comes consistently each and every week. She’s a great person, a hard worker and we love having her here at Reach!
1. What attracted you to CrossFit Reach? I actually had the Crossfit part sort of sprung on me. I’d been coming to work out with Robbie since he had his bootcamp on the second floor of the building next door. When he was switching to Crossfit, I was skeptical about whether I’d like Olympic weight lifting, but I was so hooked on the efficient, challenging workouts that I didn’t have to think about, that I stayed and gave it a chance.
2. Now that you’ve been here for a while, what keeps you motivated/coming back? Everything in my life just goes better, and I feel better physically and mentally, when I stick to an exercise routine. I love the intensity, the people, the coaches, and the fact that I am getting stronger and more fit even as I get older.
3. What is your athletic background? Field hockey and softball in high school in Maine – played in five state championships so I was pretty good by Maine standards in those days. Since then I’ve stayed fairly active. I did a few sprint triathlons several years ago.
4. Favorite CrossFit movement? Air Squats (easy for me) and Bear Complex (hard)
5. Least favorite CrossFit movement? Snatches
6. What’s your favorite TYPE of CrossFit workout? AMRAPS with more than 3 movements and reasonable #s of reps
7. Which classes during the week would somebody see you? Tuesday and Thursday 6:30 am (sometimes 5:30 am or 7:30 am instead) and Saturdays 7:30
8. What’s your favorite CrossFit moment thus far? Getting a true Toes to Bar after years of knees to elbows. And recently watching my husband, Tom, get re-bitten by the Crossfit bug.
9. What type of music are you into? I’ve recently gotten into country (yeah, I know) with my teenage daughter.
10. What music do you enjoy working out to? Loud music with a good strong beat.
12. Where is your favorite vacation destination? Anyplace that combines natural beauty, awesome food not prepared by me, breathtaking sunrises or sunsets, and opportunities to be active while connecting with people I love.
13. What do you do for work? Ages ago I was a lawyer. Since then my work is all unpaid, but much more varied, meaningful and important to me and my family. I volunteer once a week in preschool for homeless kids in Roxbury. I’m a level 2 Reiki practioner. I am part of a once a month spiritual psychology workshop.
14. What are your hobbies outside of the gym? Yoga, paddle boarding, reading, improv, hiking. I’m ever hopeful about developing a meditation practice and a creative practice.
15. Where did you grow up? Augusta, Maine.
16. What is one piece of advice you would give somebody who’s thinking about joining CrossFit Reach? Listen to the coaches and focus on form first and always, instead of weight, so you don’t get hurt and can keep coming.